A lovely thing arrived in the post this afternoon – my fully signed contract with Llewellyn! It’s an honour and a pleasure to write for this publishing company. My very first book (Scott Cunningham’s Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner) started me on my journey down the Pagan path around 25 years ago. Since then, many Llewellyn volumes are displayed proudly on my bookshelf, and in 2019 my book will be joining them!
More details to come, but for now, that’s all that I can say 🙂
Here is some tax information that I discovered when enquiring about printing a book through Amazon’s Create Space platform. As a US company, non-US authors will have to get around the 30% withholding tax issue. It can be tricky, if you don’t know quite where to go and how to do it. So, here’s the best way that I found, which takes around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Don’t bother with an ITIN (International Tax Identification Number). Go for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) instead.
- To get your EIN, call the IRS at +1 267 941 1099. Do not call the international number on the IRS website – this number is always engaged, and will just hang up on you. The number above is a direct line to the dedicated unit in Philadelphia that deals with foreign entities (that’s you) who need an EIN.
- Tell them you need an EIN, as you are an author who wants to publish on the American Amazon’s Create Space platform. Then, give them all your details, and they will then give you your EIN number. Keep this number safe!
- When you’ve gotten as far as you can on the Create Space site in uploading the files of your work, etc., you will need to fill in tax information through Create Space before you can continue any further. Go to that page, and tick the “I have a Foreign/Non US tax number” (currently the third option on the list).
- Continue with the forms, and you will get to an online version of the W8BEN. Fill in your details, and in the box marked “Foreign tax identifying number enter your own EIN like so: EIN-12-3456789
- You will be asked to review all your details, and then submit the forms. Do so, and voila, hey presto, you’ve done it! You can now carry on with uploading files and creating that brilliant piece of work.
Note: Some countries have different tax treaties with the US, so for example the UK has 0% tax payable. Other countries may differ. The online form through Create Space (W-8BEN) will automatically go to the right country code on the form and show the appropriate percentage of tax for you.
The information in this blog post is correct as of the date published – it may change in the future.
I’ve been working on my third book, The Awen Alone: Walking the Path of the Solitary Druid for some time now. I am now pleased to announce that the final manuscript has been sent to my publishers today for copyediting! Hopefully this title will be available by the end of this year (Moon Books Publishing, part of their introductory series, Pagan Portals). I’ve already had some lovely endorsements from authors that have inspired me over the years – let the awen flow!
“This is one of the best ‘core’ texts on Druidry that I have had the pleasure of reading.” – Cat Treadwell, Author of A Druid’s Tale and Facing the Darkness
“This is not a book about Celtic scholarship or the historical Celts, rather it is a guide to how to BE a modern Druid in the world today.” – Ellen Evert Hopman, author of A Druid’s Herbal of Sacred Tree Medicine, Priestess of the Forest – A Druid Journey, and other volumes
“It is enthusiastic, based in good practice, and allows the reader to start with sound and gentle steps. I heartily recommend it.” Graeme K Talboys, author of Way of the Druid: Rebirth of an Ancient Religion and The Druid Way Made Easy